This dish, modified from a recipe in the Wagamama cookbook, is a favorite of ours. Actually it’s my husband who typically makes this dish – one of the few he makes :), and it comes out delish every time. Wagamama is a British restaurant chain serving Japanese-style noodle dishes. I have only eaten there once when I was visiting relatives in London, but the food is pretty good from what I remember.
This is such a simple dish to make, and really quick too, so perfect for a weeknight if you marinate the chicken earlier in the day or the night before.
Warm Stir Fried Chicken Salad
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons oil for stir frying (butter/coconut oil/ghee)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 chili pepper (we use anaheim), trimmed and chopped
Dash of hot sauce (if you want it spicier)
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Salad mix of your choice
Vinaigrette of your choice (I like using Nourishing Gourmet’s Everyday Salad Dressing)
Chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Add the sesame oil, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, cumin, chili and hot sauce (if using) into a blender and blend until smooth to make a marinade. Stir in the sesame seeds.
2. Pour the marinade over the chicken and marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge (overnight if possible).
3. Heat a wok or pan over medium heat until hot and add the oil. Add the chicken and stir fry for about 4-5 minutes until all of the chicken pieces are cooked through.
4. In a bowl, mix the salad and the dressing.
5. To serve, place a serving of salad leaves in each bowl, scatter with optional cilantro and top with the warm chicken.
We like to serve this on a bed of rice noodles, but if you’re eating low carb or grain free, then simply omit the noodles.