While peppers are still in season, I’m getting my fill of this yummy stuffed peppers dish. It is low carb, grain free and oh so tasty! But because I refuse to buy peppers if I can’t buy them locally, I seem to have only a very narrow window each year in which to enjoy this dish.
I’ve tried this dish with both red and green peppers, and I have to say that it’s much tastier with red peppers. The sweetness of the red peppers goes really well with the savory flavor of the ground beef and spices.
3 red bell peppers cut in half
2 tablespoons oil (butter/ghee/lard)
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb of grass fed beef (or bison)
1 medium tomato, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon basil
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon marjoram
¼ teaspoon thyme
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
1. Rinse the peppers and towel dry. Cut the peppers in half and pull the seeds out.
2. Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes or so, then add the garlic.
3. Add the beef to the pan and brown.
4. Mix in the diced tomato, tomato paste, sea salt and spices. Gently simmer, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Add a bit of water or stock if necessary to keep the mixture from drying out.
5. Line a baking dish with parchment paper and place the pepper halves in the dish.
6. Fill the pepper halves with the beef mixture and sprinkle each one with grated cheese.
7. Grill under the broiler until cheese is bubbly. Filling is cooked but peppers remain nice and crunchy.
Note: I found this recipe on a forum a few years ago so it isn’t my original recipe (even though I have tweaked it), but I no longer have a link to the original so unfortunately I can’t credit the original author.