This has become one of my favorite ways to eat liver! It is so tasty, and really easy to make. I’ve always loved beef stroganoff (my Mum used to make it for dinner parties when I was a kid and I would alway cross my fingers there would be left overs!). But I never tried making it myself because I aways assumed it was difficult or time consuming to make. But there could hardly be an easier dish!
When I was thinking of new ways to incorporate liver into our meals I remembered about beef stroganoff and thought it would be the perfect dish to add some liver to. Stroganoff is a Russian dish of sauteed pieces of beef served in a sauce with sour cream (Wikipedia). Today you will find many variations on stroganoff, but I like to keep it simple with just onions, mushrooms, sour cream and lemon juice.
This is a great way to try liver if you’re a little unsure where to start because the sauce has a good strong flavor and there is beef as well as liver :). I used lamb’s liver for this dish, but I’m sure beef or calf liver would work just as well. Always try to get liver that has come from humanely raised, pastured animals.
Update: I should also add that it helps to soak the liver in milk overnight before cooking it (if you forget to soak it the night before, just do it the next morning and it will still have all day to soak). Rinse, and pat dry. This is supposed to help remove some of the strong liver taste and make it milder tasting.
Liver and Beef Sroganoff
1-2 tablespoons oil (butter/lard/ghee)
½ pound liver (beef or lamb), cut into thin strips
½ pound steak (grass fed), cut into thin strips
1 medium onion, sliced
6-8 button mushrooms, sliced
¾ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Chopped parsley as garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large pan on medium-high.
2. Add the strips of liver. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and brown for 1-2 minutes each side. Remove liver from the pan and set aside.
3. Add a bit more oil if necessary and add the strips of beef. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and brown for 1-2 minutes each side. Remove beef from the pan and set aside with the liver.
4. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes, adding more oil if necessary.
5. Add the mushrooms and saute for a further 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
6. Return the liver and beef to the pan, and mix with the onions and mushrooms. Sauté for a couple minutes to reheat the meat and finish cooking it through.
7. On a low heat, add the sour cream and lemon juice. Heat gently for a couple minutes, stirring frequently to blend the sauce.
8. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with rice (yum) or mashed potato (YUM!!).
This is a really tasty dish, I hope you enjoy it!