Cashew Raisin Cookies

Cashew Raisin Cookies gluten freeHmmm, cookies! Well I don’t actually eat cookies that often, but when I do, I like them to be as healthy as possible. That’s why I love my Cashew Raisin cookies! They are gluten free, grain free and only use natural sweeteners – honey and raisins.

The texture of these cookies is slightly soft and chewy. Because of this it is hard to tell they’re made of nuts. If you didn’t know, you might just think it was flour.

I like to use roasted unsalted cashews for these cookies. I think the roasting gives a richer flavor. If you can only find salted cashews then I’d probably skip the 1/4 teaspoon of salt in the recipe below since your cashews are adding the salt to the recipe.

Cashew Raisin Cookies

2 cups roasted unsalted cashews
1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
Scant 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup raisins
4 tablespoons honey (liquid honey is easier to work with)
1/4 cup oil (I like to use a 50:50 mix butter and coconut oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg

1. Gently melt the butter and coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat.
2. Blend the cashews into a flour/meal consistency using a food processor.
3. Combine cashew flour, tapioca/arrowroot, salt and raisins in a large bowl.
4. Mix in the honey, oil, vanilla and egg. Mix it well. The dough will be quite sticky and gooey.
5. Form the mixture into 1 inch (approx.) balls of dough and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Flatten each ball into the shape of a biscuit (either use the palm of your hand or a fork dipped in flour).
7. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes, until the cookies just start turning brown around the edges. Cool and serve.

Makes approximately 20 cookies.

Linking to: Real Food Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursdays, Foodie FridaySunday SchoolInspire Me Monday, Make Your Own MondaysHomestead Barnhop, Meatless MondaysFat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul HopGluten Free Fridays

This entry was posted in Baked Goods/Sweet Treats, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Snacks, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Cashew Raisin Cookies

1. Nehan Poole says:

“Cashew Raisin Cookies” are made with the help of honey !! Its great I’ll definitely try it with my favorite Manuka honey.

I love manuka honey too (in fact I’m from New Zealand originally!) But it has quite a strong taste, I’m not sure if it would be too strong for these cookies. But you can only try, right!

2. Oh Debbie! These sound divine! I’ve used almond flour tons in baking, but never cashews…and I love cashews. I am going to try this as soon!

Thanks Katie….I use almond flour in baking too, but using cashews is a nice change. I hope you enjoy these cookies!

3. Genia says:

I too cannot wait to try these cookies. Can flaxseed mill and water work as an egg substitute? What are your thoughts? I’ll try it and let you know how it turns out.

I have used it before as an egg substitute but I’ve never tried it with cookies. I would LOVE to know if it works. Please let me know! Thanks :)

Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back soon!

5. mjskit says:

One never sees cookies with cashews and why not? These look like they would make me and my fellow cookie monster very, very happy! :)

6. Diane Balch says:

I’ve never had a cashew cookie, I love cashews. Really interesting recipe thank you for sharing it with us on foodie friday.

7. I eat too many cookies – so maybe I should give these a try :) I’m slowly learning to enjoy nuts and raisins in cookies.
    Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

8. Erin says:

Wow, these cookies look scrumptious! I love both cashews AND raisins. This would be a great addition to 5-Ingredient Mondays (http://siftstirandsavour.com/2013/06/23/5-ingredient-mondays-strawberry-ice-cream-and-watermelon-sherbet/), if you’re interested :)

9. I love cashews, so these cookies are especially appealing to me! Your Cashew Raisin cookies sound like a lovely wholesome treat. Thank you for sharing them with the Hearth and Soul hop.

10. Pingback: Sunday Snippets

11. Janet says:

Please add me to your email newsletter subscription list.

Thanks,
    Janet
    jakarhode@gmail.com

Hi Janet, I have done this and you will receive a confirmation in your email. I also have the buttons in the top right of my website to subscribe as well. Thanks!

12. Pingback: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; 07/02/13 | Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free

13. Kerry says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I typically have almond flour on hand and wondered what the ground measurement for the cashews equates to?

I haven’t ever measured the cashews after grinding them up, but in the past I have ground up almonds and then measured the resulting ground quantity, and I’ve always found it’s more or less the same…..ie. 2 cups almonds grinds up to 2 cups of ground almonds. So I would imagine it’s the same as cashews. So maybe try 2 cups almond flour?

14. Looks amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

15. Adelaide says:

Hi, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this post. It was inspiring.
    Keep on posting!

Stop by my blog post :: Разработка фирменного
    стиля Печора (Adelaide)

16. Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topoic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using thhe same blog playform as yourss and I’m having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!