There’s something about fruit and curry that goes very well together! For me, the sweetness of the fruit helps to balance out the heat of the curry. Typically raisins, apples or some kind of fruit chutney are used in a fruity curry, but I prefer to use grapes – kind of like a cold chicken curry salad, only hot!
This is such an easy dish to make, quick and painless for a weekday dinner. No advance prep or long cooking times required. I prefer to use chicken thigh meat which I find more flavorful, but you could also use chicken breast meat but cook it for a shorter time.
If you wanted to get a little fancier, you could experiment with adding chopped celery and slithered almonds. I haven’t tried this yet but it could be tasty.
I usually choose red grapes for this dish because they offer a better contrast in color, but green grapes are equally tasty.
Chicken Curry With Grapes
1-2 tablespoons oil (butter/ghee/coconut oil)
1 ½ pounds chicken thigh meat (boneless, skinless), cut into bite-size pieces
1 medium onion, sliced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
4 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
¾ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
1 cup coconut milk
¾ cup red or green seedless grapes that have been sliced in half lengthwise
1. Heat oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for a couple minutes.
2. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
3. Add the chicken and lightly brown.
4. Add the curry powder and salt. Mix to coat the chicken evenly in the spices.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
6. Mix in the grape halves and simmer for a minute or two – just enough to warm the grapes (be careful not to overcook them otherwise they start to lose their flavor and become mushy)
Linking to: Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Keep it Real Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursdays, Fight Back Friday, Freaky Friday, Fill Those Jars Friday, GAPS Friendly Fridays, Monday Mania, Make Your Own Mondays