Turmeric and Ginger Smoothie

Turmeric Ginger SmoothieI enjoy smoothies for breakfast a couple times a week, but I was looking for a new flavor. Usually I do something with berries (and liver!) but I was feeling like a little something different. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Wait….spice…..spices….yes, wasn’t my sister going on about the amazing benefits of turmeric when she visited back in April?

Turmeric is well known for it’s health benefits, in particular it’s anti-inflammatory properties.

How could I incorporate turmeric into a smoothie? I felt like ditching the berries and just using banana. Banana is yellow, so is turmeric. Yellow + yellow = even more yellow! Think sunshine yellow, sunflower yellow….intense shades of golden yellow…..that would look pretty, right?

Then I thought about what else I’d like to flavor my smoothie. Turmeric isn’t going to add much of a flavor, and banana is just “nice”. Since I’m on the anti-inflammatory and healing path, let me add some ginger! It was like a burst of inspiration! I couldn’t wait to make my new smoothie and see what it tasted like! I was unsure of the quantities of turmeric and ginger that would work best, but after a little experimentation I settled on what I like.

Turmeric and Ginger Smoothie (dairy-free)

1 ripe banana
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder*
1/2 – 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger**
Coconut milk – about 1/3 cup***
Coconut oil – a large spoonful
Pinch of sea salt
Lemon juice – 1-2 teaspoons (optional, but without it I find coconut milk to taste a bit flat)
Maple syrup or honey (to taste)
1-2 raw egg yolks – optional (from pastured hens)

1. Add all ingredients except the egg yolks into a blender (I use a hand-held blender). Blend until smooth. Add a little water if it’s too thick.
2. Add the egg yolks and give a quick pulse or two. Finish blending in egg yolk with a fork if necessary (I have read the proteins in egg yolks are fragile and should not be subjected to heavy blending).
3. Enjoy and feel good!

Notes:
*I found 1/4 teaspoon turmeric to be a good place to start, but I now do 1/2 teaspoon.
**Use as much or as little ginger as you like. If you don’t have fresh ginger or the time to grate it, try 1/4 tsp. dried ginger powder.
***If you can tolerate dairy, you could use yogurt, kefir or raw milk in place of the coconut milk. If you’re using yogurt or kefir you could omit the lemon juice.

Linking to: Full Plate Thursdays, Keep it Real ThursdayTastetastic Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter ThursdaysCreative Juice PartyFight Back Friday, Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites FridayFoodie FridayFit and Fabulous FridaysGAPS Friendly FridaysMonday Mania, Inspire Me Monday, Meatless MondaysHomestead BarnhopMelt in Your Mouth MondayFat TuesdayTraditional Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent TuesdayHearth and Soul HopReal Food WednesdaysAllergy Free WednesdaysHome Is Where The Heart IsHealthy 2day Wednesdays

This entry was posted in Breakfast, GAPS, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Turmeric and Ginger Smoothie

I just know that you made that one just for me, it looks so delicious and I need it right now. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!

2. What an interesting combination! I often add turmeric to freshly squeezed lemon juice in warm water in the morning before breakfast, but I never thought of adding it to a smoothie.

3. Interesting combination. I’d like to try it, it’s pretty flavorful!

4. Carole says:

Fantastic ingredients! Looking good. Found you via Beyond the Peel’s Keep it Real Thursday. I linked in Coronation Chicken – a dish with a dash of history! Cheers

5. LaurenL says:

I’ve been taking turmeric as part of my vitamin and mineral routine. This sounds like a delicious way to incorporate it in my diet as well. I don’t drink coconut milk or banana, but I am going to experiment with other fruits(like honeydew) and other milks. And I absolutely love fresh ginger! Thanks for a great idea!

6. I have been trying to incorporate turmeric into my diet because it has been shown to reduce colitis inflammation. This is such a creative idea! Thank you for sharing about the egg yolks and the blender–I had no idea. I will be sure to be gentle with my egg yolks, now!

Hi Lauren, thanks for stopping by! I’m trying to incorporate more cumin into my diet too, and this is my favorite way so far!

7. I have been very focused lately on the anti-inflammatory benefits of Turmeric and I just love the idea of a smoothie! This is great – found you via Amee’s Fit and Fabulous Fridays – looking forward to more!

8. What a gorgeous color! I never think to use turmeric. Thanks for sharing on GAPS Friendly Friday!

9. Meenakshi says:

Wow what a great recipe! I use ginger and turmeric in so much of my everyday cooking, but never thought to incorporate it into a smoothie. This should be fun!

10. Christy says:

What a delicious sounding smoothie – I love the idea of ginger and tumeric yum! I often add a little raw liver to my smoothies too! I am pinning this post.

Thanks Christy! I’m a fan of raw liver in my smoothies too, although I haven’t tried it in this one yet.

11. I need to try this combo out. I just picked up turmeric/bromelain at the healthfood store to see if it would help the inflammation in my hip. I over did my speed workout last week causing my hip to hurt again.

12. mjskit says:

I could definitely have this smoothie for breakfast! Very creative use of spices, and what wonderful spices they are! I’ve become a huge turmeric fan and since it has such great health properties, I love using it. Definitely going to have to try this!

13. wendi says:

Bummer we can’t do banana’s here… I wonder if putting dates would make it sweet enough? It wouldn’t be all creamy like your tho : /

Dates would definitely make it sweet enough, and if you like avocado you could try adding some to make it more creamy.

14. Amee says:

Delicious! So glad you shared this refreshing smoothie!

15. AleaMilham says:

I have heard lots of great things about tumeric. This looks like a tasty way to add more to my diet. Pinned it to my smoothie board.

16. Swathi says:

Turmeric ginger smoothie looks delicious. Without these two we don’t know how to cook. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am shouting out this recipe in this week’s Hearth and Soul blog hop in my blog.

17. Amber says:

Debbie,

I just LOVE creative smoothies – what a fun recipe. So awesome. I am going to try this tomorrow morning. I am going to omit the eggs though. :-)

Hugs,

18. Fariba Heidari says:

I drink ginger and turmeric tea , with fresh lemon , it sounds perfect

19. Pingback: There’s a New Smoothie In Town… « The Chronicles of a Teenage Foodie

20. Pingback: HomesteadSimple.com - A simple natural life.

21. Thank you for sharing at our linky party “Home is where the heart is” I wanted to stop by and let you know you’ve been featured!! Please come and check out the others who have linked up and if you’d like to link up this week we’d love to have you! http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-5/

22. Pingback: A Year Ago… | Easy Natural Food

23. Candy says:

Been starting to love turmeric, and curry is one of my favorite turmeric dish. Guess, your turmeric and ginger smoothie will be a great partner to this. :)

24. Pingback: roach control,pest control services – Cockroach American or Australian | ekudidumu

25. Pingback: features from creative juice #82

26. mel says:

I made this smoothie this morning and was floored at how tasty AND healthy it is. I added a teaspoon of cinnamon to overpower the ginger flavor and also a little bit of black pepper to make the curcumin in the turmeric more absorbable. Thanks for the recipe!

I’m glad that you like it! I like you additions – cinnamon sounds tasty, plus I’ve since heard that the black pepper is synergistic with the turmeric, so I really must try doing that too.

27. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this
    weblog’s articles or reviews daily along with a cup of
    coffee.

My blog … testicular cancer

28. It�s nearly impossible to find well-informed people for this subject, however, you sound like you know what you�re talking about! Thanks

29. Pingback: features from creative juice #82

30. What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled
    upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads.

I’m hoping to contribute & help different customers like its aided me.
    Good job.