Salmon Salad Spread

Salmon Salad SpreadI cannot stress how much I LOVE this simple salmon salad. I make up a batch and it lasts me for lunch 3 days in a row. I actually do eat it 3 days in a row, because I never get tired of it! It tastes so moreish, one mouthful leads to another, and another…but it’s good for me, so no guilt there :)

My favorite way to eat it is on gluten-free sandwich bread which I lightly toast, then spread butter while the bread is still warm. Then I smear a layer of avocado with a little salt and pepper on top. Then finally, I add my salmon spread. I think this lunch is a little low in fat…. just kidding! There are plenty of healthy fats in this lunch :)

Regarding the salmon, I like to use canned wild Alaskan sockeye salmon, and I always choose one that has the skin and bones for extra calcium and omega-3s. The bones are so soft that by the time you mash them in with the rest of the fish, you’d never know they were there.

This salad contains plenty of goodness:

• Quality protein from the salmon
  • Great source of omega-3 fatty acids
  • Great source of calcium
  • Good fats from the mayo (provided you’re making your own mayo with good quality olive oil)
  • Live probiotics from the Bubbies Dill Relish

Salmon Sandwich Salad

1 can (7.5 oz) wild caught salmon (I like wild Alaskan sockeye salmon with skin and bones)*
2 heaped tablespoons Bubbies Dill Relish (drain excess juice)**
3-4 tablespoons mayonnaise (preferably homemade)
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Open the can of salmon and drain excess juice. Empty the contents into a bowl and use a fork to break up the chunks and mash up the skin and bones.
2. Add the dill relish, mayo, red onion, celery and black pepper. Mix it all together!
Lasts in the fridge for 3-4 days

Notes:
*The Vital Choice brand is BPA-free
**Bubbies Dill Relish is lacto-fermented and unpasteurized, so it contains live probiotic bacteria

Linking to: Summer Salad Sundays, Souper Sundays @ Kahakai KitchenMonday Mania, Inspire Me MondayMake Your Own MondaysHomestead BarnhopFat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent TuesdayHearth and Soul HopReal Food Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Home Is Where The Heart IsThe Recipe BoxHealthy 2day WednesdaysFull Plate ThursdaysFrugal Food ThursdayKeep it Real ThursdaySimple Lives ThursdayPennywise Platter ThursdaysFreaky FridayFresh Bites FridayFoodie FridayFit and Fabulous FridaysGAPS Friendly Fridays, Food on Friday Salads

This entry was posted in GAPS, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Salads, Seafood. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Salmon Salad Spread

1. I have never tried Bubbie’s Dill Relish but now I want to. ;-) This looks like the perfect summer salad and sandwich spread. Thanks so much for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

2. I have a can of sockeye that I didn’t know what to do with, I’m definitely making this salad! Looks so good!

3. Looks good! I’ve never tried putting relish it my salmon. I usually make it spicy with Chili Sauce. :)

4. Um. YUMMY! I simply adore salmon – I have a little left in the freezer from last summer, and my dad and several friends are out dipnetting right now for some yummies. I can’t wait to start having fish regularly again! And then, maybe hubby wll get a moose this year too. But, all that said, I don’t think I’ve ever had salmon salad… it’s not on the must try list. And, I’m on your newest subscriber. :) xoxo

Hope you’ll swing by SalmonAtSeven one of these days and say hi. I used to blog at EKat’s Kitchen but just relaunched at my new blog – I’m also hosting a giveaway, celebrating my launch.

5. Rogene says:

I make this a lot too. We often put it on a bed of lettuce or stuff it into green pepper shells.

6. Carole says:

Looking good. Found you via Beyond the Peel’s Keep it Real Thursday. I linked in a simple salmon pizza. Have a nice week.

7. Your salmon salad spread looks really delicious and sounds very nutritious too. I prefer wild Pacific salmon too.

8. Carole says:

You are a star for linking up to Food on Friday. Isn’t there now a great collection of salad ideas. And more are still coming in. Cheers

This is an awesome Salmon Salad Spread, it looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!

10. Ooh I’m gonna have to pin this to my “lunch” board! It looks *amazing* & I LOVE that I don’t have to make any substitutions!! Thank you for sharing! I found you through Foodie Friday :)

11. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

12. AleaMilham says:

What a delicious alternative to tuna salad! Your salmon salad looks incredible!

13. Amee says:

Sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing at Fit and Fabulous Fridays!!

14. Debbie, this is awesome! I am going to make this for sure, probably weekly. I have been struggling with ways to eat salmon, actually food in general, but I want more salmon in my diet right now (I’m pregnant! haven’t talked about this yet though on my blog, still want to be a little private about it). I’ve been away from blogging for a few months and wanted to catch up on your recipes too, so I was scrolling through and saw this, and I am SO glad I did! I can’t wait to make it this week. I pinned it too. Hope all is well. Much love to you.

15. Diane Balch says:

What a great alternative to tuna salad.. thanks for sharing this on foodie friday.

16. Pingback: Creamy Lime and Coconut Edamame Soup: Hot or Cold, Thai-Inspired for Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammie) Sundays | Foodies Love This

17. Pingback: My Top 12 of 2012 | Easy Natural Food

18. Awesome website you have here but I was wanting to know
    if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed
    in this article? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get
    opinions from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Kudos!

19. Erwin says:

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this amazing site
    needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read more, thanks
    for the information!

my web blog – sensible weight loss (Erwin)