Multi-Purpose Crepes/Tortillas (gluten-free)

I make these quite a bit. I make them when I feel like crepes. I make them when I feel like wrapping something up tortilla-style. I make them when I feel like a sandwich wrap. I even tried cutting them into strips once and using them as lasagna noodles, but the jury is still out on that one :)

They are strong, but flexible. They store in the fridge for 4-5 days (if they harden in the fridge, they become nice and flexible again when heated gently on a skillet). They also freeze well.

They are gluten-free and dairy-free (option), but they are not grain-free. They are not low-carb either, but they are slightly lower carb than equivalent-size wheat tortillas (refer my calculation at the end of this recipe). There are low-carb crepe/tortilla recipes out there using coconut flour, but I prefer not to use coconut flour for various reasons, and this recipe simply works so well for me!

I’m posting this recipe because it is the basis for several other recipes that I can’t wait to post. Look out for them soon!

Multi-Purpose Crepes/Tortillas

1/2 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot (I’ve tried both and both work equally well)
1/4 cup rice flour (I use white, but could also use brown)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (or I use 50:50 coconut milk/water mixture)

1. Add the flours and salt into a small bowl and mix together.
2. Add the eggs and the milk (or milk-substitute of your choice) to the flour and salt. I use a whisk to break up the egg yolks, then whisk everything together until it is smooth. The batter should be fairly runny.

2. Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-low and lightly oil with some butter (or oil of your choice).
3. Ladle approx. 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet, then immediately pick up the skillet and tilt it around in a circular motion to spread the mixture evenly into a crepe. My cast iron skillet is too hot to handle, so I have two kitchen towels at the ready to grab the skillet on each end.

4. Cook until the underside is starting to turn brown, then flip.
5. Once both sides are lightly browned, remove the crepe from the pan and place on a plate.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for the remaining crepes.
Makes 5 crepes.

Carb Calculation:
Out of interest, I calculated the carbs in my tortillas, based on the nutritional information provided on the packages:
Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour: 26g carbs per 1/4 cup
Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot Flour: 28g carbs per 1/4 cup
Bob’s Red Mill White Rice Flour: 32g carbs per 1/4 cup

1/2 cup arrowroot (or tapioca flour) = 2 x 28g = 56g carbs
1/4 cup rice flour = 32g carbs

56 + 32 = 88g carbs. Divide by 5 (makes 5 crepes) = 17.6g carbs per crepe/tortilla.

Linking to: Real Food Wednesdays, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Whole Food Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays, The Recipe BoxFull Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter ThursdaysFight Back FridayFresh Bites FridayFoodie FridayMonday Mania, Make Your Own Mondays, Inspire Me Monday, Meatless MondaysHomestead BarnhopFat TuesdayTraditional TuesdaysHearth and Soul Hop

This entry was posted in Baked Goods/Sweet Treats, Breakfast, Gluten Free, Snacks, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Multi-Purpose Crepes/Tortillas (gluten-free)

1. Shari says:

Hi, I’m visiting from the Healthy 2day Wednesday linkup. These look and sound awesome! I am just getting ready later this week to try making homemade gluten free tortillas (which I’ve never made gf or otherwise before) but I have experience making crepes so now I’m excited to try out your recipe! Thanks for sharing! :D

Hi Shari, thanks for stopping by! These are so easy to make. If you make them, I’d love to hear what you think!

2. Mary says:

Do you think this would work with egg replacer instead of eggs? Or any other ideas to eliminate the eggs?

I haven’t tried with egg replacer, but I did try once or twice with using a chia seed slurry. Are you familiar with that? From memory, I took 1 teaspoon of chia seeds and ground them to a fine powder in a coffee grinder. I put the chia seed powder into a measuring cup and poured in hot water up to the 1/4 cup mark, then stirred it together as it gelled/thickened. I then poured this mixture into the bowl with the flour as a replacement for the egg. I haven’t done this for quite a while, so I’ll try it again and update my post accordingly. Thanks for asking!

3. Ashley says:

Hi!

Do you think this will work with potato starch instead of arrowroot? Thanks!

HI Ashley, I haven’t had much experience with using potato starch, but I think it would be worth trying it. Please let me know how it turns out!

4. elena m says:

I am trying these tonight! I have been looking for something like this FOREVER! WOOHOO!!! THANK YOU! :o)

5. Carolyn Dube says:

What a life saving recipe! I can not wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!!!!

6. Amber says:

Hi There Debbie,

You are brilliant!! I love the ingredients here in these crepes/tortillas. They look just amazing. I will be making these for sure! Thank you so much for sharing with us on AFW! I’ll be featuring this recipe this week, Debbie. Love!! :-)

Hugs,

7. Ashley says:

I’ve made these twice so far, and I love them! They work great!

8. Pingback: Allergy-Free Wednesday, Week 24

9. Amber says:

Hi There Debbie,

I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here:

Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

Hugs,

10. Pingback: Allergy-Free Wednesdays: July 4, 2012 | The Willing Cook

11. These look super easy and tasty. I can’t wait to try them out.

12. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

13. Amber says:

These were awesome! Absolutely love them. Very pliable and strong. Perfect for burritos actually. We ate them with pulled pork and butternut squash. Worked great! Thanks for a wonderful (easy) recipe. I have a few notes below.

Hugs,

Notes:
    1. I used brown rice flour
    2. I used a nut milk (as I had some in the fridge, walnut). Since coconut milk is so much thicker than a nut milk I had to add a little more flour. 2 1/2 tablespoons of brown rice flour worked perfect.
    3. I used a regular stove top non-stick skillet. I used oil at first, but this made them too oily. I made the remainder of the crepes/tortillas without oil. Just poured 1/4 cup of the batter right onto the hot non-stick skillet. Worked great. :-)

Cool, thanks Amber! Also thanks so much for posting your notes, because it helps people with substitutions ideas.

14. AleaMilham says:

These look wonderful! I usually use corn tortillas, but they aren’t very flexible. I can’t wait to give your recipe a try.

Thanks Alea! I’ve had the same problem with corn tortillas. Hopefully you’ll find these work better!

15. Pingback: Gluten-Free Beef and Bean Burritos

16. Pingback: Chicken Tacos (gluten-free) | Easy Natural Food

17. I love that these look so easy! I can’t wait to give them a shot!!

18. Pingback: Are Tortillas Gluten Free? | Gluten Free: The Celiac Site

19. Pingback: A Year Ago… | Easy Natural Food

20. Pingback: Ham and Cheese Roll Ups | Easy Natural Food

21. Ralph, Cleethorpes, UK says:

Doesn’t seem very natural?

22. Pingback: Ham and Cheese Roll Ups

23. Pingback: My Top 12 of 2012 | Easy Natural Food

24. Rochelle says:

Im so going to make these this weekend. Thanks!

25. Tiffany says:

I just made these, they are so good! I’m just wondering how many calories approx in them as Iam doing a program to keep track

26. Pingback: This Week's Favorites - Linda's Lunacy

27. Amy says:

I made these this eve for tacos, just swapped the milk for a water/lime juice combo. They were perfect! Yes!

28. Getting a written replacement valuation is an effective weapon when seeking
    value from your insurance company or loss adjuster.
    If you are thinking of buying a piece of handmade jewellery from India
    or any other Asian country make sure that you check on the size as many of the designs will be on the small side for western women so please
    check but as they are now creating these lovely pieces of silver bead jewellery for world trade you are bound to get
    a piece that will fit you perfectly. A good number of recycled waste papers and
    aligned materials are used for the production of handmade paper.

My page :: Pretty vingate headbands

29. FlosCaeli says:

Many times sales are made of the same items you are wearing at the craft show.

However, the bright red coloring of the characters often clash
    against the deep Jade coloring making it hard to decipher the proper letters.

Ryan-Willis said at the beginning, she spent about 20 minutes
    daily finding more information on how to improve her business, advertise on other websites or read about other
    successful candle makers.

Also visit my web site :: FlosCaeli

30. Many times sales are made of the same items you are wearing at the craft
    show. The meal may last just one evening, but the recipe can carry on forever.

My web site Colorful Handmade Jewelry

31. FlosCaeli says:

Many times sales are made of the same items you are wearing at
    the craft show. Talk to the store manager and find out how much they charge to rent a booth, usually they charge a flat
    monthly fee. A good number of recycled waste papers and aligned materials are used for the production of handmade paper.

Review my web blog: FlosCaeli

32. domain says:

whoah this weblog is wonderful i love studying your articles.

Keep up the great work! You already know, a
    lot of persons are hunting round for this information, you
    could aid them greatly.