Shrimp Cakes Bites

Shrimp Cake BitesSmaller than a shrimp cake, but not meant to be a meatball, I decided to call these tasty little morsels Shrimp Cake Bites! I made them for dinner the other night and we all loved them – not a single one remained. All you could hear from our 2yo was “more, more!” (she does occasionally remember to say please :)

They would also be perfect as finger food for parties or other events. Serve with toothpicks and your favorite dipping sauce, and they’ll be gone in 60 seconds!

Shrimp Cake Bites

1 pound raw shrimp (thawed if frozen), peeled and tails removed
1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
¼ cup almond flour*
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
Hot sauce – couple shakes
½ cup chopped cilantro
1 egg
Coconut oil (or butter/ghee/lard etc) for frying

1. Place all ingredients (except coconut oil) in a food processor and process until everything is mixed together (but not pureed!)
2. Heat coconut oil in a large pan.
3. Scoop mixture and drop into the pan (I like to use this cookie scoop). Flatten each ball out a little as it cooks.
4. Cook about 10-12 minutes. Use a spatula to move the shrimp cakes around the pan for even cooking and make sure each one gets evenly cooked on both sides.
5. Cook in 2-3 batches.
6. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!

*Note: I use almond flour because I don’t eat gluten. However you don’t have to use almond flour – you could substitute with breadcrumbs or a different type of flour, although I have not tried this yet.

Linking to: Real Food Wednesdays, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Whole Food Wednesday, Allergy Free WednesdaysFull Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter ThursdaysFight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Friday Food Flicks, Foodie FridayMonday ManiaMake Your Own MondaysInspire Me MondayHomestead BarnhopFat TuesdayTraditional Tuesdays

This entry was posted in Dinner, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Snacks. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Shrimp Cakes Bites

1. Kate says:

Sounds tasty…..will have to try these!

2. Oooh Shrimp cakes. Sounds so yummy Debbie. What is in Old Bay Spice? Never heard of it before. Maybe I can make a variation of it on my own.

It’s a seasoning mix for seafood and poultry sold by McCormick. It’s quite a mixture (reading from the label): celery salt, mustard, red pepper, black pepper, bay leaves, cloves, allspice, ginger, mace, cardamom, cinnamon, paprika. I’m sure you’d be able to come up with something similar (and simpler!)

3. Paul says:

I can attest to the supreme tastiness of these cakes. One of the best meals I have ever had!

Debbie, what a great idea, I can’t wait to try your Shrimp Cake Bites. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!

5. Pingback: Sunday Snippets: June 24, 2012

6. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

7. Donna says:

This sounds great I can’t wait to try it, but…. where do I get almond flour ??
    and can I use olive oil instead.

Hi Donna, thanks for stopping by! If you’re not gluten free, then you don’t need to use almond flour. Breadcrumbs would probably be a good substitute, although I haven’t tried it. You could probably use olive oil for frying, provided it’s not extra virgin olive oil because that is not heat stable. Not sure if the olive oil might change the taste at all. If you try it, I’d love to hear what you think!

8. Tammy says:

Was wondering did you cut the shrimp in half or leave it whole??

9. Tammy says:

I just read put in food processor, but this would work mixing maybe in blender or by hand?

Hi Tammy, you could definitely mix everything by hand, but you’d need to chop the shrimp and onion quite finely first. I haven’t tried it in a blender, but you’d want to be careful not to end up with a puree! A little bit of chunky texture is better than completely smooth mush :)

10. Pingback: A Year Ago… | Easy Natural Food