A while back, Amber at The Tasty Alternative posted her Double Chocolate Hazelnut Coconut Cookies and I just about died and went to heaven! But the thing was, they reminded me of my favorite cookies from my childhood – something called Afghan biscuits.
I guess me and Afghans were always meant to be, given my love of chocolate. However since going gluten free (and refined sugar free) a few years ago, I haven’t made them, and they were fading into distant memory…..until I saw Amber’s cookies, which gave me an idea to try to make my own gluten-free version of Afghan biscuits! However I decided to jazz it up a little with chunks of dates and chocolate 🙂
Double Chocolate Date and Almond Cookies
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup arrowroot flour*
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
6 medjool dates, pitted and chopped into small pieces
2 oz dark (at least 70%) chocolate, chopped into small pieces
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) honey
1/4 cup oil (I like to use 50:50 mix of butter and coconut oil but you could use one or the other)
1. Gently melt the butter/coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat.
2. Combine the almond flour, arrowroot flour, cocoa powder and salt in a large bowl.
3. Mix in the dates and dark chocolate.
4. Mix in the honey, oil and the egg. The mixture gets thick and sticky, but make sure it is mixed well.
5. Form the mixture into balls of dough (no more than 1.5 inches diameter) and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Flatten each ball into the shape of a cookie with the palm of your hand. I actually use a fork, dipped in a little arrowroot powder to prevent sticking, to flatten out each ball of dough.
7. Bake at 350F for 13-15 minutes.
Makes 20 cookies.
*I like to use arrowroot powder to soften the texture a little. Arrowroot is a starchy root (like tapioca), it is not a grain. You could replace the arrowroot with 1/2 cup tapioca starch (I have done this) or an additional 1/2 cup of almond flour if you don’t like the starch (although I haven’t actually tried this myself.)
Linking to: Real Food Wednesdays, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Whole Food Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursdays, Fight Back Friday, Freaky Friday, Friday Food Flicks, Fresh Bites Friday, Foodie Friday, Monday Mania, Make Your Own Mondays, Inspire Me Monday, Meatless Mondays, Homestead Barnhop, Real Food 101, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Creative Corner Hop