Mexican Hamburger Soup

Mexican Hamburger Soup

It took me a little while to realize that a “Hamburger Soup” isn’t simply the contents of your hamburger in soup-form (lol!), that “hamburger” is simply another name for ground beef. But then again, I grew up calling ground beef “mince” ๐Ÿ™‚

A funny little story about ground beef….when I first came to America, I was in a deli with my American friend and there were peppers stuffed with ground beef. I made some comment about how they had mince inside, and of course she heard it as “mints” and had no idea why I was talking about peppers stuffed with mints!

So now that I have all that straight in my head….I decided to make my own hamburger soup. But I decided to give it a Mexican twist because I had some salsa on hand, and I really REALLY felt like guacamole.

So here you have it….a New Zealand girl’s interpretation of Mexican Hamburger Soup. Confused? I don’t blame you! But please try this anyway, because it’s really REALLY good!

Mexican Hamburger Soup

2 tablespoons oil (butter/ghee/coconut oil)
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef (grass fed)
2-3 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium/large carrot, peeled and sliced
1 cup corn (I used frozen)
1 16oz jar of your favorite salsa (I used a fire roasted tomato salsa)
3 cups chicken stockย or beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste (if needed to boost the tomato flavor)
Hot sauce โ€“ couple shakes (my salsa was mild, so I wanted to add more heat)

1. Heat oil to medium in a large pot.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes to soften the onion, but donโ€™t let it turn brown.
3. Add ground beef. Cook it for 5 minutes or so, stirring frequently to break it up and allow it to brown.
4. Add celery, carrot, corn, salsa and chicken stock.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes or so, until vegetables are tender.
6. Taste, and add tomato paste and/or hot sauce if needed to boost flavor.
7. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.

Linking to: Sunday Night Soup Night!, Souper Sundays @ Kahakai Kitchen,ย Monday Mania, Homestead Barnhop, Make Your Own Mondays, Real Food 101,ย Inspire Me Monday, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays,ย Hearth and Soul Hop,ย Real Food Wednesdays,ย Healthy 2day Wednesdays,ย Whole Food Wednesday,ย Allergy Free Wednesdays,ย Full Plate Thursdays,ย Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursdays,ย Fight Back Friday,ย Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Friday Food Flicks, Foodie Friday

23 Comment

1. My mom used to make a similar soup–very delicious. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Deb!

2. LOL, I thought of it as hamburger, too, not just ground beef ๐Ÿ™‚ This soup would go over well in my house. Love the flavors in the there, looks delicious.

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Carol! That’s funny you thought the same as me ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope your family enjoys this if you make it.

3. mjskit says:

What a quick, easy and delicious soup! We’ve got rain and cold moving in this week so what a great soup to make!

1. Debbie says:

Perfect! I want to make this again too, even though we have good weather in the forecast!

4. I love hamburger soup and this one looks delicious. I’ll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Nancy!

5. SJ says:

Just made this. Used refined coconut oil (no coconut flavor). I didn’t add the tomato paste and actually used a little less salsa and one cup more homemade chicken bone broth. Added at the end ground dried chipoltle pepper and a citrus pepper. Turned out to be absolutely delish!

1. Debbie says:

Yay, I’m so happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know! Love your addition of the dried chipotle pepper, that’s a great idea.

6. I had the exact same problem in reverse when I moved to England from Canada years ago. It took me ages to call hamburger ‘mince’! I really like the sound of this soup – it’s got lots of flavour and body and I’m sure it tastes absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop.

1. Debbie says:

Oh that’s funny! Being from New Zealand, we use a lot of the British words and phrases, as opposed to the American/Canadian ones. Thanks April!

7. Jen says:

I think I am going to make this over the weekend. This sounds like a yummy way to use up and spread out the ground beef I got from the farmer last week. thanks!

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Jen! Hope you like it! Let me know how it turns out for you ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Jen says:

OH! This was sooooooooo good. I actually made it tonight instead of over the weekend. I ate a bowl before my husband got home from work because it smelled so good and I couldn’t wait. I made a few adjustments based on what I had here in the house. Do you mind if I post a version of this on our blog? I will link back and give you credit for the idea.

1. Debbie says:

That’s GREAT! So happy you liked it, and thanks for letting me know. You’re more than welcome to post your version, go for it!

We would just love your Mexican Hamburger Soup, it looks delicious! Hope you have a Very Special Week End and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!

9. I’m looking at the comments and I must be the only person who has never heard of hamburg soup. I love it because my son doesn’t want to eat vegetables he only wants ground beef. This will be a good way to get a little of both in him. Thanks for sharing this on foodie friday.

10. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Alea says:

I have never had hamburger soup though I’ve lived in the US my whole life, but I think it would be delicious with a Mexican twist.

12. This is one of those soups I just love to eat but haven’t had in ages. I happen to have a bunch of grass fed ground beef that would be perfect for this. Thanks for sharing this with the real food community at Whole Food Wednesdays.

13. […] Chicken Casserole Thai Chicken Salad Thai Seafood Red Curry Italian Chicken and Sausage Crockpot Mexican Hamburger Soup Turmeric and Ginger Smoothie Chicken […]

14. […] Mexican Hamburger Soup. Hearty, tasty, simple! […]