It took me a little while to realize that a “Hamburger Soup” isn’t simply the contents of your hamburger in soup-form (lol!), that “hamburger” is simply another name for ground beef. But then again, I grew up calling ground beef “mince” 🙂
A funny little story about ground beef….when I first came to America, I was in a deli with my American friend and there were peppers stuffed with ground beef. I made some comment about how they had mince inside, and of course she heard it as “mints” and had no idea why I was talking about peppers stuffed with mints!
So now that I have all that straight in my head….I decided to make my own hamburger soup. But I decided to give it a Mexican twist because I had some salsa on hand, and I really REALLY felt like guacamole.
So here you have it….a New Zealand girl’s interpretation of Mexican Hamburger Soup. Confused? I don’t blame you! But please try this anyway, because it’s really REALLY good!
Mexican Hamburger Soup
2 tablespoons oil (butter/ghee/coconut oil)
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef (grass fed)
2-3 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium/large carrot, peeled and sliced
1 cup corn (I used frozen)
1 16oz jar of your favorite salsa (I used a fire roasted tomato salsa)
3 cups chicken stock or beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste (if needed to boost the tomato flavor)
Hot sauce – couple shakes (my salsa was mild, so I wanted to add more heat)
1. Heat oil to medium in a large pot.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes to soften the onion, but don’t let it turn brown.
3. Add ground beef. Cook it for 5 minutes or so, stirring frequently to break it up and allow it to brown.
4. Add celery, carrot, corn, salsa and chicken stock.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes or so, until vegetables are tender.
6. Taste, and add tomato paste and/or hot sauce if needed to boost flavor.
7. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.
Linking to: Sunday Night Soup Night!, Souper Sundays @ Kahakai Kitchen, Monday Mania, Homestead Barnhop, Make Your Own Mondays, Real Food 101, Inspire Me Monday, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Hearth and Soul Hop, Real Food Wednesdays, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Whole Food Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursdays, Fight Back Friday, Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Friday Food Flicks, Foodie Friday