Carrot and Cardamom Soup w/ Coconut Milk

Carrot and Cardamom Soup w/ Coconut MilkCardamom is a new-ish spice for me – I mean I’ve known about it for ages, but haven’t cooked with it much before. But I’ve always loved the smell of it. Have you ever smelt a handful of cardamom pods? It is heavenly! It has a very intense aromatic fragrance and is commonly used in Indian cooking, particularly in sweet dishes.

There are two varieties of Cardamom – green and black, although the green is more commonly used. It can be bought in pods, or pre-ground, however pre-ground cardamom quickly looses its flavor so it is better (and cheaper!) to buy it in pod-form and grind as required (although certain recipes use whole pods). Having said that, grinding cardamom at home can be a little fiddly, since you don’t grind the entire pod, only the seeds inside. To get to the little seeds, I used a pair of scissors to crack open each individual pod (I’m sure there must be an easier way!) to take the seeds out. Once I had my little collection of seeds, the grinding part was easy – I just used a coffee grinder.

Anyhow…. :) … by the time I’d ground my cardamom, my fingers, the scissors, the coffee grinder, the whole kitchen in fact….smelt amazing!

Carrot and Cardamom Soup w/ Coconut Milk

2 tablespoons oil (ghee/coconut oil)
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb carrots (about 5 medium carrots), peeled and sliced
1/2 head of small/medium cauliflower, chopped*
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom (green, not black)
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon sea salt (depending on taste)
3-4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock (depending on how thick you like the soup)
1 cup coconut milk

1. Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and sauté until golden.
2. Add the carrots, cauliflower, garlic, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook for a couple minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
3. Add the stock, bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
4. Puree the soup until smooth, using either an immersion blender or other blender.
5. Stir in the cup of coconut milk.
6. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

*Note: I have a thing about using only carrots – I feel the need to balance it out with a less sweet vegetable, and I like using cauliflower because its nutritious and doesn’t have a strong taste of its own. If you don’t want to use cauliflower, add another couple of carrots.

Linking to: Sunday Night Soup Night!Souper Sunday @ Kahakai KitchenSunday SchoolMeatless MondaysMonday Mania, Homestead BarnhopMake Your Own MondaysInspire Me MondayFat TuesdayTraditional TuesdaysFull Plate Thursdays,  Healthy 2day WednesdaysWhole Food WednesdayAllergy Free WednesdaysSimple Lives Thursday, Pennywise PlatterFreaky FridayFriday Food FlicksFresh Bites Friday

This entry was posted in GAPS, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Soup, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Carrot and Cardamom Soup w/ Coconut Milk

1. That looks simply wonderful!

2. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices. It’s delicious in certain Middle Eastern desserts as well! This recipe is right up my alley. Some extra cardamom and carrots, and I’ve got a new spin on the cauliflower soup I make all the time :)

Thanks Heba! Actually I do remember reading that cardamom is also used in Middle Eastern cuisine. Do you have any tips for an easier way to get the seeds out of the pods? :)

3. I like the idea of added the cauliflower to reduce the sweetness–it looks delicious. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays. ;-)

4. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy! :-)

5. I can’t wait to make this soup. I love everything in it , especially the fragrant cardamom.. It also meets all the requirements for the foods we eat on Passover, so I’ll be making it this week during the holiday.

6. eryn says:

This looks delicious! I’ve never really tried cardamom before. I’d like to try it out! I pinned it: http://pinterest.com/pin/91690542383672323/

Debbie, this is an awesome soup that we would just love! Hope you are having a wonderful Spring day. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

8. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

9. Pingback: Inspire Me Monday - Week 15 | Create With Joy

10. You know a recipe is good when your readers can’t get it out of their minds all week! Congrats – you are one of my features this week on Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!

Create With Joy – Inspire Me Monday

11. Amber says:

This soup is so beautiful! You’re the soup queen!!

Thank you for sharing your recipe with us last week on AFW! Be sure to check back this week for reader favorites and hostess picks.

Be Well,
    –AFW Hostesses

12. Pingback: Allergy-Free Wednesday, Week 13

13. Amber says:

Hi There Debbie,

I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here:

Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

Be Well,

14. Bethany says:

This was super yummy and so pretty! Really refreshing flavors. Tried it cold, too, cuz it’s so hot out right now and it was still delish! I crushed the pods with the flat blade of a big butcher knife and the seeds slipped right out. I accidentally made it a little too spicy and just added more coconut milk…perfect! Thanks!

Hi Bethany, I’m so glad that you liked it, and thanks for letting me know! That’s a good trick to get the seeds out….I’ll try that next time.

15. Pingback: My Top 12 of 2012 | Easy Natural Food

16. I’m gone to inform my little brother, that he should also go to see this blog on regular basis to get updated from
    most recent information.

17. Asking questions are in fact pleasant thing if you are not understanding anything totally, except this paragraph presents good understanding even.

Visit my webpage … seventh-day adventist

18. Hello, always i used to check weblog posts here early
    in the daylight, for the reason that i like to
    learn more and more.

19. Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. Nevertheless think of if you added some great visuals or video clips to give
    your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this blog could definitely be
    one of the most beneficial in its niche. Amazing blog!

20. I am now not sure the place you’re getting your
    info, but good topic. I must spend some time studying much more
    or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent information I was on the lookout for this
    information for my mission.