Carrot and Cardamom Soup w/ Coconut Milk

Carrot and Cardamom Soup w/ Coconut MilkCardamom is a new-ish spice for me – I mean I’ve known about it for ages, but haven’t cooked with it much before. But I’ve always loved the smell of it. Have you ever smelt a handful of cardamom pods? It is heavenly! It has a very intense aromatic fragrance and is commonly used in Indian cooking, particularly in sweet dishes.

There are two varieties of Cardamom – green and black, although the green is more commonly used. It can be bought in pods, or pre-ground, however pre-ground cardamom quickly looses its flavor so it is better (and cheaper!) to buy it in pod-form and grind as required (although certain recipes use whole pods). Having said that, grinding cardamom at home can be a little fiddly, since you don’t grind the entire pod, only the seeds inside. To get to the little seeds, I used a pair of scissors to crack open each individual pod (I’m sure there must be an easier way!) to take the seeds out. Once I had my little collection of seeds, the grinding part was easy – I just used a coffee grinder.

Anyhow…. 🙂 … by the time I’d ground my cardamom, my fingers, the scissors, the coffee grinder, the whole kitchen in fact….smelt amazing!

Carrot and Cardamom Soup w/ Coconut Milk

2 tablespoons oil (ghee/coconut oil)
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb carrots (about 5 medium carrots), peeled and sliced
1/2 head of small/medium cauliflower, chopped*
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom (green, not black)
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon sea salt (depending on taste)
3-4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock (depending on how thick you like the soup)
1 cup coconut milk

1. Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and sauté until golden.
2. Add the carrots, cauliflower, garlic, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook for a couple minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
3. Add the stock, bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
4. Puree the soup until smooth, using either an immersion blender or other blender.
5. Stir in the cup of coconut milk.
6. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

*Note: I have a thing about using only carrots – I feel the need to balance it out with a less sweet vegetable, and I like using cauliflower because its nutritious and doesn’t have a strong taste of its own. If you don’t want to use cauliflower, add another couple of carrots.

Linking to: Sunday Night Soup Night!Souper Sunday @ Kahakai KitchenSunday SchoolMeatless MondaysMonday Mania, Homestead BarnhopMake Your Own MondaysInspire Me MondayFat TuesdayTraditional TuesdaysFull Plate Thursdays,  Healthy 2day WednesdaysWhole Food WednesdayAllergy Free WednesdaysSimple Lives Thursday, Pennywise PlatterFreaky FridayFriday Food FlicksFresh Bites Friday

23 Comment

1. That looks simply wonderful!

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Laura! It’s really simple to make as well…..once you’ve got the ground cardamom 🙂

2. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices. It’s delicious in certain Middle Eastern desserts as well! This recipe is right up my alley. Some extra cardamom and carrots, and I’ve got a new spin on the cauliflower soup I make all the time 🙂

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Heba! Actually I do remember reading that cardamom is also used in Middle Eastern cuisine. Do you have any tips for an easier way to get the seeds out of the pods? 🙂

3. I like the idea of added the cauliflower to reduce the sweetness–it looks delicious. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays. 😉

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Deb, you’re welcome!

4. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy! 🙂

5. I can’t wait to make this soup. I love everything in it , especially the fragrant cardamom.. It also meets all the requirements for the foods we eat on Passover, so I’ll be making it this week during the holiday.

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Judee! Let me know how you like it!

6. eryn says:

This looks delicious! I’ve never really tried cardamom before. I’d like to try it out! I pinned it: http://pinterest.com/pin/91690542383672323/

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Eryn!

Debbie, this is an awesome soup that we would just love! Hope you are having a wonderful Spring day. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

8. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! 🙂

9. […] Debbie at Easy Natural Food Recipe: Carrot and Cardamom Soup with Coconut Milk […]

10. You know a recipe is good when your readers can’t get it out of their minds all week! Congrats – you are one of my features this week on Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!

Create With Joy – Inspire Me Monday

1. Debbie says:

Thank you Joy! That’s made my day 🙂

11. Amber says:

This soup is so beautiful! You’re the soup queen!!

Thank you for sharing your recipe with us last week on AFW! Be sure to check back this week for reader favorites and hostess picks.

Be Well,
    –AFW Hostesses

12. […] Carrot and Cardamom Soup by Easy Natural Food (gluten-free, dairy-free) […]

13. Amber says:

Hi There Debbie,

I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here:

Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

Be Well,

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Amber!

14. Bethany says:

This was super yummy and so pretty! Really refreshing flavors. Tried it cold, too, cuz it’s so hot out right now and it was still delish! I crushed the pods with the flat blade of a big butcher knife and the seeds slipped right out. I accidentally made it a little too spicy and just added more coconut milk…perfect! Thanks!

1. Debbie says:

Hi Bethany, I’m so glad that you liked it, and thanks for letting me know! That’s a good trick to get the seeds out….I’ll try that next time.

15. […] Carrot and Cardamom Soup w/ Coconut Milk. Hhmm, cardamom, I love thee so. Cardamom is a magical spice, and perfect in this soup. […]

Comments are closed.