This is the first time that I’ve posted a lentil soup believe it or not! I really like lentils, but the problem is that they don’t always agree with me, so I don’t eat them very often. But this particular soup is one of my all time favorites and I was craving it! So I made it. And it was good!
French Green Lentils (also known as Puy lentils) are probably my favorite kind of lentil. They have a rich hearty taste, and when cooked, they retain their shape and don’t turn all mushy like some other types of lentils do.
This recipe came from a friend who got it from a magazine, but I think it was an Ina Garten recipe originally.
French Lentil and Vegetable Soup
1 cup French Green lentils
1-2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
1 large leek, white and tender green parts only, sliced
1 1/4 teaspoons Thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
Scant 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3-4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces
2-3 carrots, sliced
5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon dry red wine or red wine vinegar (optional – I don’t normally bother)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Soak lentils in warm water overnight. Before cooking, drain and rinse.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions, garlic, leeks, leeks, thyme, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add the celery and carrots and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste and lentils to the pot. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender (about 60 minutes)
5. Stir in the (optional) red wine and season with additional salt and pepper if required.
6. Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of parmesan.
Linking to: Sunday Night Soup Night!, Sunday School @ Butter Believer, Monday Mania @ Healthy Home Economist, Make Your Own Mondays, Meatless Mondays, Inspire Me Monday, Fat Tuesday @ Real Food Forager, Traditional Tuesdays @ Cooking Traditional Foods, Real Food Wednesdays @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Whole Food Wednesday @ Beyond the Peel, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Healthy 2day Wednesdays @ day2dayjoys, Full Plate Thursdays @ Miz Helen’s, Simple Lives Thursday @ GNOWFGLINS, Pennywise Platter Thursdays @ Nourishing Gourmet, Fight Back Friday, Freaky Friday, Friday Food Flicks