French Lentil and Vegetable Soup

This is the first time that I’ve posted a lentil soup believe it or not! I really like lentils, but the problem is that they don’t always agree with me, so I don’t eat them very often. But this particular soup is one of my all time favorites and I was craving it! So I made it. And it was good!

French Green Lentils (also known as Puy lentils) are probably my favorite kind of lentil. They have a rich hearty taste, and when cooked, they retain their shape and don’t turn all mushy like some other types of lentils do.

This recipe came from a friend who got it from a magazine, but I think it was an Ina Garten recipe originally.

French Lentil and Vegetable Soup

1 cup French Green lentils
1-2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
1 large leek, white and tender green parts only, sliced
1 1/4 teaspoons Thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
Scant 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3-4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces
2-3 carrots, sliced
5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon dry red wine or red wine vinegar (optional – I don’t normally bother)
Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Soak lentils in warm water overnight. Before cooking, drain and rinse.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions, garlic, leeks, leeks, thyme, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add the celery and carrots and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste and lentils to the pot. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender (about 60 minutes)
5. Stir in the (optional) red wine and season with additional salt and pepper if required.
6. Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of parmesan.

Linking to: Sunday Night Soup Night!Sunday School @ Butter BelieverMonday Mania @ Healthy Home EconomistMake Your Own Mondays, Meatless Mondays, Inspire Me MondayFat Tuesday @ Real Food ForagerTraditional Tuesdays @ Cooking Traditional FoodsReal Food Wednesdays @ Kelly the Kitchen KopWhole Food Wednesday @ Beyond the Peel, Allergy Free WednesdaysHealthy 2day Wednesdays @ day2dayjoysFull Plate Thursdays @ Miz Helen’sSimple Lives Thursday @ GNOWFGLINSPennywise Platter Thursdays @ Nourishing GourmetFight Back FridayFreaky FridayFriday Food Flicks

11 Comment

1. My mom and I were just talking about lentils the other day. I haven’t had them in years… Looks great!

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Laura. Lentils are always great in soups, provided you don’t have any digestive issues with them (which I kinda do, so I eat them sparingly 🙂

2. Vicky says:

I love anything with lentils and this soup sounds just perfect!

1. Debbie says:

Thanks Vicky, it sure is one of our favorites!

3. Thanks for sharing such a healthy hearty dish with us! I’m not sure that I realized there were different types of lentils before reading your post. I will have to look for this type the next time I shop!

Have a fabulous week & look forward to your future creations at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!

4. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your soup with us at Allergy Free Wednesdays! This looks so warm and comforting, and perfect for the damp and chilly weather we’re having in the NW right now! Hope to see you next week too!

5. Elsa says:

I just saw this on Foodnetwork the other day and wanted to make it. I need to find some French lentils though. This looks delicious!

1. Debbie says:

Oh wow, it was on Food Network recently? I’ve had this recipe for years….although I do believe it was originally Ina Garten. It’s really tasty, I hope you’re able to track down the French Lentils!

Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great Spring week end and come back to see me real soon!

7. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! 🙂

8. Amber says:

Hi There Debbie,

I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here: http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/03/allergy-free-wednesdays-week-10-march.html

Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

Be Well,