It’s been a long time since I’ve made mushroom soup! I used to make it frequently when I was a student – I would use a dried packet mushroom soup mix and throw in some fresh sliced mushrooms. I thought it was really tasty! But back then I’d never heard of real stock, and wasn’t aware that the packet stuff probably contained all sorts of nasties like MSG.
I hand’t thought about mushroom soup in the longest time, but after seeing a few mushroom soup posts on Sunday Night Soup Night, I was inspired to try making my own mushroom soup again, but from scratch! I based my recipe on Wholesome Cream of Mushroom Soup by Lil’ Suburban Homestead because it looked so simple! I tweaked a few things to make it my own, but it was simple, and it was delicious!
Creamy Mushroom Soup
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound mushrooms (I used ½ white button, ½ cremini), sliced
½ teaspoon dried Thyme
¼ teaspoon dried Sage
¾ teaspoon (approx) sea salt
Pepper – couple shakes
2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 cup cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice (I used a Meyer lemon which tend to be a bit sweeter)
1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch mixed in a small amount of water (optional, and omit for GAPS)
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Heat butter in a large pot. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes or so.
2. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for a further 10 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the thyme, sage, salt and pepper over the mushrooms, then add the stock and the cream.
4. Gently simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Turn the heat to low and stir in the arrowroot/water mixture. This will thicken the soup slightly. Use more arrowroot if you want a thicker soup.
6. Add lemon juice to taste.
7. Serve garnished with fresh parsley
Linking to: Sunday Night Soup Night!, Monday Mania @ Healthy Home Economist, Homestead Barnhop @ The Prairie Homestead, Make Your Own Mondays, Real Food 101 @ Ruth’s Real Food, Fat Tuesday @ Real Food Forager, Traditional Tuesdays @ Cooking Traditional Foods, Real Food Wednesdays @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Healthy 2day Wednesdays @ day2dayjoys, Whole Food Wednesday @ Beyond the Peel, Full Plate Thursdays @ Miz Helen’s, Simple Lives Thursday @ GNOWFGLINS, Fight Back Friday @ Food Renegade, Freaky Friday @ Real Food Freaks, Friday Food Flicks @ Traditional Foods