Yum yum chicken meatballs! Oh my goodness, these meatballs are sooo tasty! I think it’s the parmesan cheese. I mean, what doesn’t taste better with parmesan, right? But in addition to being flavorful, these little beauties are also moist and tender.
This dish is really simple to make, it just requires getting your hands a little dirty when rolling up the meatballs (unless you have a meatball scoop, which I don’t).
I make these meatballs for dinner, served over white rice or noodles with some sort of vegetable side. But they would also make a good party snack, served off a tray with toothpicks to pick the meatballs up with.
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
1 pound ground chicken thigh meat
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon Sucanat (unrefined sugar)
Splash of olive oil (about 1 tablespoon)
1) Add all of the meatball ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well to combine the meat with the seasonings.
2) Add all sauce ingredients to a wide-bottom pot or pan (wide enough to hold all meatballs in a single layer). Bring to a simmer. It might not initially seem like much sauce, but it will be enough.
3) Form the chicken mixture into meatballs (approx. 1 inch diameter) and drop each one into the sauce as you go. This process takes me about 6-8 minutes by hand.
4) After the last meatball has been added to the sauce, simmer gently for 15 minutes until all meatballs are cooked. Mix the meatballs around periodically as they’re cooking to ensure they cook evenly and get coated with sauce on all sides. As the meatballs cook in the sauce, the parmesan and other flavors in the meatballs blend into the sauce to make it really flavorsome.
5) Adjust seasonings to taste (I don’t add any salt or pepper to the sauce, but you might like to) and serve.
Linking to: Real Food Wednesdays @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Healthy 2day Wednesdays @ day2dayjoys, Whole Food Wednesday @ Beyond the Peel, Full Plate Thursdays @ Miz Helen’s, Pennywise Platter Thursdays @ Nourishing Gourmet, Fight Back Friday @ Food Renegade, Freaky Friday @ Real Food Freaks, Friday Food Flicks @ Traditional Foods, Sunday School @ Butter Believer, Monday Mania @ Healthy Home Economist, Homestead Barnhop @ The Prairie Homestead, Make Your Own Mondays, Real Food 101 @ Ruth’s Real Food