I had some chicken leftover from one that we had roasted, and I felt like making a creamy chicken and corn chowder after being inspired by a similar soup here.
This is rich, creamy comfort food at it’s finest! A completely decadent sort of soup that I couldn’t eat very often, but it’s lovely to have once in a while.
I was having a bit of fun playing around with topping ideas with this soup. Toppings on soup is not something that I’d ever thought of, but I’ve seen it quite a few times now and I think its a really fun idea – especially if you provide bowls of several different topping options on the table and let each family member add the toppings of their choice. Kind of like customizing your soup!
Chicken and Corn Chowder
2 tablespoons butter
2-3 slices bacon
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 ½ (approx) cups diced red potatoes – ½ inch dice
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 cup corn (I used frozen)
¼ teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups (approx.) cooked chicken – shredded or diced
¼ cup cream
Grated cheese (optional)
2-3 green onions, sliced (optional)
1. Heat butter in a large pot. Add the strips of bacon and cook for a minute or two.
2. Add onions and sauté until golden.
3. Remove the bacon and set aside. If the bacon is not crispy enough to your liking, use a separate pan to crisp it up a little.
4. Add the garlic, diced potato and celery to your soup pot. Saute for a minute or two.
5. Add the chicken stock, milk, corn, thyme, salt and pepper.
6. Simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potato is almost done.
7. Add the chicken and simmer for another 5 minutes.
8. Stir in the cream. Taste and adjust seasonings as required.
9. To serve, ladle the chowder into bowls. Chop up the bacon and sprinkle some in each bowl, along with some grated cheese and chopped green onions.
Linking to: Sunday Night Soup Night!, Monday Mania @ Healthy Home Economist, Homestead Barnhop @ The Prairie Homestead, Real Food 101 @ Ruth’s Real Food, Real Food Wednesdays @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Healthy 2day Wednesdays @ day2dayjoys, Whole Food Wednesday @ Beyond the Peel, Full Plate Thursdays @ Miz Helen’s, Pennywise Platter Thursdays @ Nourishing Gourmet, Freaky Friday @ Real Food Freaks, Fight Back Friday @ Food Renegade, Friday Food Flicks @ Traditional Foods