My husband and I both really love Thai food, but we struggle to find decent Thai food restaurants where we live. No matter, because we just make our own! The red and green curry pastes from Thai Kitchen, along with some fish sauce and a good quality can of coconut milk, are all you really need to create authentic tasting Thai curries at home.
The recipe below is for a seafood curry, but you could easily use chicken, beef or pork instead. Also the quantities of curry paste, fish sauce etc. are what we like, but this is one of those dishes where you can add more or less to suite your tastes, and you can’t really stuff it up!
Thai Red Seafood Curry
Shrimp (about 6-8 per person), peeled
Scallops (about 1/4 pound per person) – I use the smaller Bay scallops
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tablespoon coconut oil/ghee
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon Red Thai Curry Paste
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2-3 cups seasonal vegetables, chopped
2 teaspoon Sucanat or coconut sugar
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lime juice
1. Heat oil in a large pan on medium. Saute onions in coconut oil for 5 minutes or so.
2. Add the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, garlic and ginger. Stir to blend these ingredients, then simmer for a couple minutes.
3. Add the shrimps and scallops.
4. Add vegetables, slower cooking ones (such as carrots) first to give them a head start.
5. Simmer, stirring occasionally until seafood is cooked and vegetables are just tender.
6. Stir in apple cider vinegar/lime juice and coconut sugar.
7. Serve with rice.