What do you do if you like the taste and food combinations that tacos provide, but don’t eat wheat, and don’t like corn tortillas? Throw everything on a bed of white rice, of course! I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner, but it was really tasty and very satisfying.
White rice is a “safe starch”, meaning that it doesn’t contain any of those nasty plant toxins or anti nutrients such as phytic acid. It is easy for most people to digest (although obviously its a no no on the GAPS diet). You don’t want to overdo it with the rice since it is high in carbs, but I find that with everything else on the plate, you only need a bit of rice to round out the meal.
Tacos on Rice
1 tablespoon oil (ghee/coconut oil)
1 pound grass fed ground beef
2 tablespoons salsa
Taco seasoning (I got this tasty seasoning recipe here):
1 tablespoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
¼ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon Paprika
1 ½ teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Sour cream or yogurt
1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat.
2. Add beef and lightly brown.
3. Add taco seasonings. Cook, stirring frequently, until beef is fully browned – about 5 minutes. Careful not to cook the beef too long after it’s browned otherwise it will dry out (add a little stock if necessary).
4. I like to stir in a couple spoonfuls of the salsa, and cook for another minute or so.
5. To serve, place some rice on each plate. Top with a serving of the beef, and garnish with taco toppings of your choice.
Tip: we only go through half a jar of salsa each time, so I freeze the remaining portion in its jar, and pull it out for next time. It freezes really well. Just remember to pull it out in time!
Linking to: Fat Tuesday @ Real Food Forager, Traditional Tuesdays @ Whole New Mom, Real Food Wednesdays @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Healthy 2day Wednesdays @ day2dayjoys, Pennywise Platter Thursdays @ Nourishing Gourmet, Full Plate Thursdays @ Miz Helen’s