Steak and Kidney Stew (Slow Cooker)

When I was growing up, I kid you not, I was mad for kidney! My brother and sister weren’t so keen, so Mum didn’t make it that often. But when she did make anything with kidney – steak and kidney pie, steak and kidney casserole etc, I was a very happy kid!

For many people, eating liver is a big step, so I really hesitated about posting this since eating kidney may be a total gross out for many! But since we’re talking about real food, and traditional food, then kidneys deserve a place at our table. Steak and Kidney Pie is a traditional British dish, and also popular in New Zealand where I originate from. In fact on my last trip back I had lunch at a local restaurant and there was a kidney dish on the menu.

If you forget about what you’re eating for a minute, the taste of kidney is milder and meatier than liver, vaguely sweet, and certainly not offensive in any way. In fact I’ll eat them sliced and fried in butter with a little salt….but that’s just me :)

I’ve only ever eaten lamb’s kidneys, so I can’t comment on the flavor of kidneys from other animals. Finally, it’s important to only source kidneys that have come from animals raised naturally on pasture.

Steak and Kidney Stew

1-2 tablespoons oil (butter, lard, tallow etc)
1.5 lb beef chuck roast, cut into chunks (important to use a well-marbled cut because the meat will be much more tender and flavorful)
1 medium onion
¾ cup water or beef stock
1 teaspoon (approx.) Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 pair lamb’s kidneys, sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
2 bay leaves
2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
Mushrooms, sliced (optional)

1. Heat oil in a pan to medium-high. Add beef chunks, with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and brown on all sides (in batches if necessary).
2. Meanwhile, cut up onion and scatter onion pieces on the bottom of your crock pot/slow cooker.
3. Add browned beef to the crock pot.
4. Add the water/stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste to the pan that was used to brown the beef. Heat until simmering, scraping and stirring with a spatula to loosen any browned pieces. Turn off the heat and let this sit while preparing remaining ingredients.
5. Cut the lamb’s kidneys into approx. ¼ inch-thick slices. Add to the crock pot.
6. Sprinkle the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and bay leaves over the meat.
7. Toss in the vegetables.
8. Pour the liquid from the pan over the meat and vegetables.
9. Cook on low for 8 hours.

All ready to start cooking!

Linking to: Real Food Wednesdays @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Healthy 2day Wednesdays @ day2dayjoys, Full Plate Thursdays @ Miz Helen’s, Pennywise Platter Thursdays @ Nourishing Gourmet, Fight Back Friday @ Food Renegade

This entry was posted in Dinner, Grain Free, Organ Meats. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Steak and Kidney Stew (Slow Cooker)

1. Kate says:

Ya know…at the end of the day, meat is just as much as organ as organs are…they’re just muscles! I simply don’t care for the taste of liver (unless it’s pate) but that is just me. I’ve never tried kidneys, but they sound interesting….where do you even buy them?

So true! I buy lamb’s kidneys from a local farmer. US Wellness Meats lists them on their website so that’s one option. They’re not exactly in demand though :)

2. Misty says:

I know organ meats are soo healthy. But, I’m scared!!!!! I don’t know why. I’m usually very adventurous with food. I may have to suck it up and just do it. Yours looks delicious, like beef stew. :)

It is basically just beef stew, because I only put in one pair of kidneys….you couldn’t even really notice it (I’d put more next time :) Just do it!!! (and let me know how it goes!)

Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and please come back soon.

4. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

5. Alex says:

I’m obsessed with liver…but I’ve never tried kidneys before! This sounds fantastic, though, so that might change soon…

6. dogwoman52 says:

I have never had any lamb meat or kidneys your recipie look good but I
    guess it would be good just like pigs tails they are good to

7. Judith says:

Hello,
    I’m Australian and my Mum used to make steak and kidney pie in the winter.
    I’ve never made it in a slow cooker – but I’m going to try it NOW.
    Thank you.
    Judith.

Hi Judith, I love steak and kidney pie, so good! I’m desperate to make this again but I’m having trouble tracking down the lamb’s kidneys at the moment – not readily available in America. Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for stopping by!

8. Mike says:

Just searching (in the UK) for a recipe for slow cooked steak & kidney and stumbled on this through Google. Will definitely give it a try, loved kidney as a lad and still do. My mum used to make a superb kidney and sausage casserole, then later (in my teens) I discovered kidneys in mustard cream sauce served on toast. Heavenly, remains one of my all time favourites.

Unfortunately my wife is a rabid anti offal-ist and can’t stand even the smell of it cooking (I have the same reaction to cauliflower cheese) so I don’t get to have it too often. Good thing about using the slow cooker is that I can do it overnight so she won’t moan!

PS Pigs kidneys are great also though I’ve never tried beef. All widely available over here though.

9. Pingback: Reference Page: Organ Meat | Gregory Taper

10. charles says:

Looks good. It was one of my favorites as a kid, but my wife is not enthusiastic about organ meats. This is a good balance for her.

11. John Gold says:

Thank you very much for this recipe. My wife loves steak and kidney so today I’m going to follow this recipe and make it for her as a little treat as she’s coming back from a three-month business trip tomorrow and she’ll just love it. Thanks again. . . John

12. India says:

You can get this at the official Notre Dame store in navy blue,
    green, or white for $65. Think about the personality of the person who you are giving the birthday gift to, and you’ll come up with a fantastic
    birthday gift idea. Gifts are a great way expresses our love, affection, care and respects.