Pan-Fried Sweet Potato

Pan Fried Sweet Potato

This is an easy side dish if you’re needing something carby to go with your main meal. I like cooking sweet potatoes this way because it gives all of the caramelized sweetness of roasting without having to use the oven, which is the last thing I want to do on a hot summer’s day.

I tend to use the white sweet potatoes as opposed to the orange yams when I make these, but both work nicely.

Pan-Fried Sweet Potato

1 sweet potato, peeled
2 tablespoons butter/ghee/lard/coconut oil
Sea salt
Optional dried herbs eg. thyme

1. Slice sweet potato into slices, about 1/4 inch thick. If my sweet potato is quite round, I’ll cut it lengthwise first so that I’m slicing half rounds instead of rounds.
2. Heat oil in a large pan to medium high. Add sweet potato pieces and sprinkle generously with sea salt and optional herbs. Using a spatula, toss the pieces around the pan to get them coated in the oil and salt.
3. Cook until the pieces are becoming lightly browned on the underside (about 5 minutes), then turn the pieces over and cook for a further 3-5 minutes to lightly brown the other side.
4. Turn the heat down to medium-low, add more oil if necessary, and partially cover. Cook, loosening them up with a spatula periodically to prevent sticking, for a further 10-15 minutes until the sweet potato pieces are easily pierced with a fork.

All up, cooking time shouldn’t be anymore than about 25 minutes for 1/4 inch slices. I usually get this dish underway first, and let it cook away in the background while I work on preparing the rest of dinner.

Linking to: Pennywise Platter Thursdays @ Nourishing Gourmet, Grain Free Real Food Carnival

9 Comment

1. Yum! Those look great! Are they crispy at all? I always have a hard time getting sweet potatoes to crisp.

Thanks!

1. Debbie says:

They are a little bit crispy – I think if you browned them a bit more on each side they would become more crispy. I think the trick is to make sure you start them off in fairly hot oil to sear them (like you do with meat) to create that crisp outer.

2. Johnlyn says:

Yummy! I love sweet potatoes baked in the oven, but like you, I don’t want to heat up the house…though it looks like I’ll be wanting to heat up the house soon.

I’ll put this on my menu plan for next week – thanks!

1. Debbie says:

Yay, I hope you like them! Thanks for stopping by.

3. Stephanie says:

Looks delicious! Fun seeing what I think of as “Japanese” or the white sweet potatoes in the recipe too. Generally, I think they tend to be a little drier than the orange ones or “yams” that we use most often here in the US and that probably helps make them crisper too.

1. Debbie says:

Good point, that could be why! Actually now I remember when I first started making these I was using the orange yams, but they always came out softer/moister than the white sweet potatoes 🙂

4. Jenna Warwick says:

I just made these for my husbands lunch break. I didn’t have a lot of time and wanted something quick and easy.
    These did the trick.
    I only used 2 pinches of seasalt as I find less is more with it but of course everyone is different.

Hubby went quiet while he ate and as I say, a silent meal is a good one. We both approve 🙂
    Thank you.

1. Debbie says:

I’m so glad that you both enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

5. Nathalie says:

This is just what I was looking for! My little one asked for cheeseburgers tonight, and I have a few sweet potatoes on hand. I think I’ll cube them into half inch pieces and pan fry them, searing them as you suggest. I even have coconut oil to use! Thanks a bunch, I know they’ll be a big hit.

Comments are closed.